Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Meal Planning Begins - Vegetable Beef Stew

Ok, I've been at this vegetable beef stew thing for about 45 minutes. I finally have a recipe for the book, complete with counts. I figured, what with fall and winter coming up, and this being a favorite of mine, and the convenience of keeping it in the fridge for leftovers... Vegetable Beef Stew would be a good place to start.

My problems with it? 502 calories is a bit higher than I wanted, especially since I'd love to find a way to add a square of cornbread on the side! Turns out cornbread is high in calories. Maybe when I go to maintenance phase. I had tried reducing the amount of beef in the recipe, but it made the recipe a bit carb-heavy, when considering the 40-30-30 Zone. This is much more Zone-friendly, so I now have a 500-calorie bowl of vegetable beef stew as a meal, and no cornbread, no fruit, nothing else, just the bowl of stew. Maybe I can divide the recipe into 5 servings instead of 4...

This recipe is largely based on a recipe I found at allrecipes.com, to give credit where credit is due... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Veggie-Beef-Soup-with-Okra/Detail.aspx

VEGETABLE BEEF STEW (slow-cooker)
recipe makes 4 servings

502 Calories per serving
48 g carbohydrates (48%)
28 g protein (28%)
24 g fat (24%)

Ingredients:
1 pound cubed stew beef
2 onions, chunked
2 potatoes (2 1/2" diameter) chunked
28-oz can diced (or whole) tomatoes
16-oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 cup frozen okra
1 tablespoon ketchup

Directions:
1. Brown steak in a skillet with the onions. Drain grease.
2. Mix all ingredients in slow-cooker. Season as desired. Cook for 4 hours on Low.

No comments: