Monday, July 13, 2009

snuck a peek

Stepped on the scale just now - I don't usually bother because the only weight that counts for me is the one first thing after I get out of bed and void myself, before showering and getting dressed. But tonight it said 248. Granted, I may have been dehydrated, and I've just had a tall glass of cool Sleepytime tea.

If I tighten my abdominal muscles, my big saggy belly pulls in. I was putting off abdominal exercises until I lost weight enough so that I wasn't squunching so much belly on my attempted crunches. I suppose I should start adding abdominal exercises to my workout now, since I'm so impatient for my waist to reduce!! I want to pull them in a tighten them, which makes me wonder if Pilates, and yoga might be better than crunches? Another one that I think might be good is to suspend myself by my elbows and pull my knees up, but you need a contraption to do that.

Okay, so this is what happens with the exercise. I want the benefits of yoga, which means preferrably two days a week. I want the benefits of strength training, which means an hour at least once, maybe twice a week. Cardio should be 3 times a week, with more emphasis on the elliptical than the recumbent bike. But I also want to take walks because they're good for the soul as well as the legs and heart... When I start trying to fit in all the exercise I want to do, I get confused and overwhelmed. That's why I've been "understated" with my exercise lately and just focusing on following the meal plan. That's enough to think about, really.

I passed a restaurant today called Big Ben's Pub - British cuisine, with an outdoor patio for dining, and I thought, "Oh, I want to try that someday soon, maybe with Mom or Joey..." But a couple minutes later I remembered - I'm a prisoner of the meal plan. I can't just go to a restaurant. That's why I'm not doing restaurants and bars and parties, etc... near so freely as I used to.

So either I have to plan the British cuisine for a "cheat day" or wait until I reach my goal weight of 220 and start working on figuring out how to maintain on my own.

1 comment:

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Just found your blog, and wanted to comment to encourage you on your journey. I know where are, because I was there. Only I did get to 300. Anyway, the exercise became really important to me as I went along. At first I couldn't see the benefit, but when I did it I was amazed at how much better I felt.

I didn't do all the yoga, strength training, etc. All I did was walk, slowly then fast. I eventually added in strength training, but not for a while. I lost 150 lbs, and that was 12 years ago! You can do this, and it's hard, but you can find time for the exercise too!!! Keep up the good work!